For many, mom-style means no style, but that doesn’t have to be the case. If you have young kids, most days you’re struggling to squeeze in a shower, never mind put together an outfit. However, as much as I love my yoga pants, there is something about being dressed in “real clothes” that reminds me that I am more than a mom. I am a wife, a role model, and a woman. I like to think that if I’m going to have spit up on my sweater, at least it will be a cute sweater.
On a typical morning, I have 30 minutes to get ready. On a rough morning, I have 10 minutes. I’m a professional and a mom.
My life requires me to stand for long periods of time and walk a lot. I work with teenagers and chase a toddler. I like clothes that make a statement. Clothes that flatter but are still modest and comfortable. I’m on a budget, so I like pieces that I can get a lot of mileage out of.
Quick and Easy Style for
I love leggings. There’s a good reason most women already have them in their wardrobe, and that they have become the “mommy freak flag.” They’re comfortable. They’re versatile. But, when it comes to fashion I have a few hard and fast rules.
- If I wear one fitted item of clothing, the other should be flowy, and when I wear leggings I need to cover my behind.
- This sweater accomplishes both of these, while still serving as a comfy layering piece perfect for those cool fall mornings.
- Another versatile and comfortable piece are my TOMS. A well-placed scarf and a pair of earrings make even this simple outfit look pulled together.
- The best part about this style? You can throw this on without much thought and be out the door in time for the bus.
Style Around Town for
I’m pretty lucky to be able to take a fair amount of liberty with the term “business casual” at work, but I still like to bring my A-game now and again.
- I chose this green patterned sheath from Boden for its sophisticated cut and vintage- inspired neckline and paired it with this gorgeous merino knit blazer (also Boden).
- There’s been a lot of chatter online about Tieks. I don’t yet have a pair, but you can bet that their promise of being both dressy and foot-friendly has me saving my pennies.
- Add a bucket tote made of butter-soft leather, a pair of simple gold earrings, and tie the whole look together with a coordinating belt.
One Dress Styled Two Ways for
When I get an opportunity to hit the town with my husband, it’s a chance for me to spend a little extra time on my appearance. No matter what we’re doing I like to remind him of the woman he married. That’s why I love this dress from Francesca’s.
- The shape flatters any figure, and white can be as versatile as black, but has the benefit of being unexpected.
- Depending on your mood, you can easily add an Express faux leather motorcycle jacket and studded booties to give this angelic number an edgy rocker feel.
- Or, lean toward a romantic style by adding pretty shoes like these Badgley Mishka crystalized flats and this striped denim jacket, a pretty take on a closet staple.