We all know what it feels like to be “hangry;” the subtle hunger that initially signals a growling stomach and then transforms us into growling grown women. When I don’t eat, I’m irritable, irrational, and basically no fun.
“Hangry” is a totally avoidable parent pitfall.
If we stay on top of our hunger, we can avoid unnecessary tantrums as adults. Eating snacks keeps me clear-headed and stable so I can deal with the constantly hungry people in my life.
Moms: here are some easy snacking ideas that you can easily fit into your day and your diaper bag. They all require little or no prep, and you can throw them in your bags and not worry about mold or smells. (Not that anything in your diaper bag smells like roses).
- Healthy trail mix – skip the sugary stuff in the bag and make your own mix: include roasted almonds, cashews, and walnuts tossed in some maple syrup or honey. Full of nutrients and fat, they’ll keep you full as long as you need it. Sprinkle it on some fresh fruit and plain yogurt and enjoy a tasty pick-me-up with each bite.
- Hard-boiled eggs or quiche – these eggs are easy to cook and the perfect grab-and-go protein. Quiche is versatile and delicious hot or cold, a must for moms!
- Homemade Lara Bars – this bar recipe requires some prep, but once you have them, they’re the perfect pick-me-up.
- Guacamole and chips – It takes approximately one minute to whip up some amazing guac: mash avocado, throw in some tomatoes and onions, salt, pepper, citrus juice–done. Grab your choice of chips (I prefer plantain chips) and dip away. Even easier: dip right into the avocado with your chip!
- Water – the most important of all snacks! Half the battle of keeping our bodies fueled for success is making sure we stay hydrated. Dehydration can lead to headaches, fatigue, even mood swings. Fill up a pitcher in the morning, and then you can easily pour a glass throughout the day. Water fits perfectly into wine glasses, too!
Whether you’re running around a hectic office or chasing chaotic children, make sure your snacks are full of protein and healthy fats to keep your stomach full, your hormones balanced, and your body happy.