My husband and I started using the Natural Family Planning birth control method five years ago. Now, we have three beautiful kids to show for it, and they’re not “oops!” babies. Natural Family Planning gave us a new outlook on our marriage and the opportunity to multiply that love in children and happiness.
It was easy to make our decision to stop contraceptives and embrace a completely natural birth control.
So, we were newly married and eager for a fresh start. I was ready to see how my body really functioned after almost 10 years on the Pill. “Green sex” was the new buzz word. I envisioned myself as an earthy-crunchy fertility goddess who could pop out a baby like a gumball machine. (I have yet to pop a baby out like that, by the way).
My initial reason for stopping birth control has been outweighed by more serious benefits:
- The Natural Family Planning method we use is church-approved (a personal priority for us).
- It’s 100 percent natural, low maintenance, (I spend about two minutes of my entire day on observations), and low-cost.
- It provides a healthier lifestyle for me and our family.
- Tracking my gynecological health has helped me diagnose and treat problems that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.
- It’s resulted in higher self-esteem and a healthier body image.
- I am constantly observing my body to check for any signs of fertility (and secretly feeling like a rock star because I know what’s going on in there).
I want to be healthier because I know that’s when my body does its job best.
By far, the best consequence of Natural Family Planning is that I’m closer to my husband than ever before.
- We share this responsibility, talk about my body, and make the decision to achieve or delay pregnancy every month.
- We don’t see Natural Family Planning solely as a means to grow or delay our family.
- Natural Family Planning gives us the opportunity to deepen our faith and invite deeper emotional intimacy into our hearts…and by extension, our bedroom.
For many couples, Natural Family Planning has helped with infertility. Some still struggle, even though they are doing everything they can to better understand their bodies. That’s why Natural Family Planning is so much more than a method to avoid or achieve pregnancy. It opens our bodies and minds to healing. When I put barriers in my body, a barrier goes up in my heart as well. I only see this now that I’ve moved away from artificial birth control.
And that’s why we will never go back to barriers or artificial contraception. It’s beautiful and rewarding to share this crucial part of my being with my partner.
Natural Family Planning isn’t for everyone. And it certainly has its challenges, not the least of which are periods of abstinence. But, these times help my husband and I shift focus to another part of our relationship that needs some lovin’. We dance, reminisce, and do A LOT of home renovations.
For anyone avoiding a pregnancy, there’s also the very legitimate fear of an unplanned pregnancy. I swore we were done-zo with a capital DONE after my second cesarean. And yet…
After two years of talking my fears over with my husband, friends, and our Natural Family Planning practitioner has led to a lot of personal healing. I encourage anyone interested in, but hesitant, to talk to a registered practitioner about what Natural Family Planning method best suits their lifestyle.
While it’s not perfect, Natural Family Planning is the right choice for us.
Have you tried any of the various Natural Family Planning methods? What has worked for you? What challenges have you and your partner overcome?